Will changing my lights to LED save money?

Generally changing to LED technology is a good thing.  Running and maintenance costs are lower. However, installing the wrong product to the wrong application can be costly. A product that does not satisfy the application will mean the customer laying out sums of money for a system that is not suitable. Good advice at design stage is essential for all - from a domestic customer asking for their kitchen or bathroom lighting to a client installing a large lighting system to a commercial building.

Do I require smoke detection?

Having fire detection increases safety by giving early warning signals to fire. Having a fire system can lessen the resultant loss in terms of injury to people or damage to property. A risk analysis should be carried out to determine the appropriate fire system for any premises.

What else does Karma do?

We work in close partnership with a Warden Call and an access control company who specialise in hardwired/wireless dispersed social alarm systems to assist independent living.

What is portable appliance testing?

Portable appliance testing (PAT) is a term used to describe the examination of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use.

Portable appliance testing (PAT) is an important part of any health and safety policy.

The Health and Safety Executive states that 25% of all reported electrical accidents involve portable appliances. The Electricity at Work Regulations places the responsibility on the employers, employees and self-employed persons to comply with the provisions of the regulations and take reasonably practicable steps to ensure that no danger results from the use of such equipment.

The implementation of a systematic and regular program of maintenance, inspection and testing is required.

Is portable appliance testing (PAT) compulsory?

The Electricity at Work Regulation 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the regulations do not specify what needs to be done, how frequently and by whom (i.e. testing and inspection of electrical appliances is not a legal requirement, nor do they say it should be undertaken on an annual basis.)

The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. Employers should take a risk-based approach and have an effective maintenance regime giving the employers confidence that they are doing what is necessary to help meet their legal duties

Effective maintenance of portable electric appliances can be achieved by a combination of:

  • Checks by the user
  • Formal visual inspections by a competent person.
  • Where necessary a combined inspection and test portable appliance test (PAT), by an electrical competent person.

How frequently do I need to test my appliances?

The frequency of inspection and testing depends upon the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used in.

We have guidelines that suggests initial frequency for the testing of equipment, it gives suggested starting intervals, when implementing a maintenance plan. Over time and with practical maintenance experience, it may be possible to extend these intervals if results of checks, inspections shows few faults.

There is no legal requirement to keep maintenance logs for portable electrical equipment. However, a suitable log is useful as a management tool for monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of the maintenance plan.

What is the role of the ‘Responsible Person’ for Fire Safety?

As the responsible person you must:

  • carry out a fire risk assessment of the premises and review it regularly
  • tell staff or their representatives about the risks you’ve identified
  • put in place, and maintain, appropriate fire safety measures
  • plan for an emergency
  • provide staff information, fire safety instruction and training

Is emergency lighting required?

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order (RRFSO) 2005, which came into force in October 2006, charges the responsible person in control of non-domestic premises and the common areas of a House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) with the safety of everyone in the building, whether working, visiting or living there.

“Emergency routes and exits requiring illumination must be provided with emergency lighting of adequate intensity in the case of failure of their normal lighting”.

Emergency lighting is part of the fire safety provision of a building and cannot be ignored: as noted by the Industry Committee for Emergency Lighting (ICEL), which is the foremost UK authority on emergency lighting.

“The legal requirement is that non-domestic buildings must be safe at all times, even if mains power failure occurs. Therefore, nearly all such buildings must have emergency lighting fitted”.